DHW provides account of expedition.

Daniel H. Wells

Daniel H. Wells, Autobiography, 1884, 10-14, Bancroft Library, University of California-Berkeley

University of California-Berkeley
John Scott, Brigham Young, Daniel H. Wells, George D. Grant, George W. Hawland

This Indian trouble grew into hostilities and the people called on us for help, and Governor Young directed that I should send out assistance. I sent George D. Grant with about 50 men as quick as we could raise them, and John Scott staid to raise other 50, but when the time came he declined to go. The Indians were camped on Provo Bottoms which was then covered with timber and brush, forming quite a hiding place for them; and they would shoot from under their cover. One man was killed and four or five others wounded. The people did not seem to be successful against the Indians, and they requested me to go down, which I did and took charge of the expedition. Colonel Stansbury was here at the time. Lieutenant Hawland of the U. S. Army went out, but he got disgusted and came back about the time I went out. The Indians had guns as well as bows and arrows. Before I went down they had improvised a battery and put in on truck wheels which could be shoved along before them to protect them from the Indians' fire, because the Indians would pick them off from under their cover. This battery did good service and had a good effect in frightening the Indians. The night that I got to Provo there was a great snowstorm. I had never been in Utah Valley before, and we got there about three o'clock in the morning. having a little rest I organized the troops and declared martial law. Took all the men and brought them into service. As I was ordered not to leave the valley until every Indian was out, I seized everything there in the shape of provisions &c to keep the men on. We went out to search for these Indians and found that a portion of them had left this cover and gone into what is called Rock Canyon, and the others had gone south. Snow, was then about two feet deep which made it very difficult to travel. With the majority of the troops I went out to Spanish Fork on the Indian trail and left a guard at the mouth of Rock Canyon to keep those Indians there, but some of them made their escape over the mountains. We encountered the Indians near the north end, on the west side of the mountain, east of the south end of Utah Lake, and completely defeated them. During the whole expedition 27 warriors were killed. Their squaws, with their papooses and children, as is usual with them, threw themselves upon the victorious party for protection and support; we brought them to the city, fed and took care of them until spring when they ran back to their Indian camps. Many of them died, not being able to stand our way of living. We cleaned all hostile Indians out of Utah Valley, but some escaped. There were settlements being formed in Sanpete, and I sent a detachment to notify the people in Manti that the Indians were hostile, and for them to be on their guard. We had peace for some time after that. Our policy was to conciliate the Indians all the time.—No trouble between 1850 and 52.

BHR Staff Commentary

Enter search terms into the Berkeley Library link to locate the DHW Narrative Catalog data

Citations in Mormonr Qnas
Copyright © B. H. Roberts Foundation
The B. H. Roberts Foundation is not owned by, operated by, or affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.