Edward Stevenson relates that he had heard Oliver Cowdery bear testimony of the Book of Mormon.

Jul 5, 1886
Edward Stevenson
2nd Hand

Edward Stevenson, "The Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon," Millennial Star 48, no. 27 (July 5, 1886): 420–421

The Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star
Edward Stevenson, Moses Martin, David Whitmer, Oliver Cowdery
Reading Public

HAVING given a rather detailed ac count of Martin Harris, who was the last of the three witnesses, I will proceed to speak more briefly of Oliver Cowdery, the first of the witnesses. Brother Cowdery, like the others, was rather conspicuous in the Church in its early history up to 1836. I have often heard him bear a faithful testimony to the restoration of the Gospel by the visitation of an angel, in whose presence he stood in company with the Prophet Joseph Smith and David Whitmer. He testified that he be held the plates, the leaves being turn ed over by the angel, whose voice he heard, and that they were commanded as witnesses to bear a faithful testimony to the world of the vision that they were favored to behold, and that the translation from the plates in the Book of Mormon was accepted of the Lord, and that it should go forth to the world and no power on earth should stop its progress. Although for a time Oliver Cowdery absented himself from the body of the Church, I never have known a time when he faltered or was recreant to the trust so sacredly entrusted to him by an an angel from heaven.

. . .

Many other revelations have been given with increased responsibilities upon Oliver Cowdery, as well as to be a witness to the Book of Mormon. I have taken great satisfaction under his testimony as one of the three witnesses, and testify to the world that he was inspired of God, and his testimony stands unimpeached by any man on earth. About the year 1849 or 1850, Oliver Cowdery called to see the Latter-day Saints in their camp at Council Bluffs, Iowa, while en route to Utah from Illinois. He became satisfied of the continued advance of the Gospel, and was rebaptized and publicly bore his testimony in the meetings of the Latter-day Saints with expressed satisfaction. Soon after this he went to Richmond, Ray Co., Mo., to visit David Whitmer, where he subsequently died, and was buried alongside of father and mother Whitmer. Thus two of the three witnesses have returned to the fold and identified themselves with the true and only Church and Gospel of Jesus Christ, at that time under the direction of President Brigham Young, and died in full faith and hope of a glorious resurrection, and the reign of Christ a thousand years upon this earth, when Jesus will reign as King of kings.

Citations in Mormonr Qnas
Copyright © B. H. Roberts Foundation
The B. H. Roberts Foundation is not owned by, operated by, or affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.